Friday, May 2, 2008

Wizard & Glass Process #1

I'm reading the 4th book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series now, so I have a lot of imagery from the books in my head. Yesterday, at lunch, I started messing around in Photoshop on an image of Roland, the main character, with the Dark Tower in the background.

First, just a loose sketch to lay everything out:



By the end of lunch today I had quite a bit of the background laid in. I'm just working my way from back to front on this, trying to balance things as I go:

2 comments:

Shane White said...

Cool, man.

One thing I read that Joe Jusko does is that he works on his backgrounds and atmospheric light first. Then he tackles the figure to fit the scene. It seems to simplify things. Looks like you're heading in the right direction.

=shane=

Pav said...

Thanks, Shane.

Color choice is still challenging for me, so if I get the environment in first it makes it easier for me to pick colors for the foreground elements.

I saw the link to James Gurney's site on your blog, and I've learned a lot reading his stuff on there. I wish he'd published a book with all of his blog entries in it.